So Cheesie and I itchy backside went to do gel nails in January (before Tokyo Kawaii ahem).
Hers are the orange ones and mine are (predictably) the pink.
Anyway although I thought I was the last person in the world to try gel nails – besides Cheesie fol – (cos I saw all the Singaporean bloggers do gel nails until very shiok) a lot of people still stared in fascination at my hands. Especially children and older people.
Anyway because I’m kind of bordering comatose right now wtf I decided to not think too much about deeper issues and tell you some basics you should know about gel nails.
- Gel nails are just that – gel applied on top of your nails and shaped and extended from your own (short) nail. Then they put it under UV light to harden. When it’s hardened, it’s actually harder than nails (hahahahaha)
- Once you get these, you may get addicted wtf. Not only because they look so pretty, but because after you take them off, you discover your real nails have nearly gone to pieces and when you push them with your finger they bend in like a bendy straw T__________T Then you panic and faster commission another set of gel extensions to cover your dying nails.
- Depending on your lifestyle (and how much housework you do wtf) these gel nails can last for up to three months.
- Gel extensions are really so much harder than real nails! The ones I have anyway. Don’t have to worry about them breaking I can pull open heavy doors with just my nails WTF.
- You lose the joy of scratching wtf. Gel extensions are thicker than real nails so when I scratch an itch now it loses its oomph and the itch doesn’t feel relieved -______-
- You cannot dig your nose anymore WTF. I couldn’t anyway. Gel extensions are also bigger than my real nails and while you would think that it increases efficiency because the surface area is bigger and thus able to scoop out more (WTF) it just doesn’t work that way. So you’re stuck pushing tissue up your nostril and hoping some snot will stick on the tissue (very unsatisfactory)
- Wiping after you go to the toilet however, is not an issue. I have no idea why so many people asked me if it’s hard to wipe!!!!! Why!? Y U THINK THAT?
- Typing on a computer keyboard and on a Blackberry is no problem either although some adjustments have to be made to the way you type. I type on my BB with my knuckles WTF.
- Removing contact lenses is also very easy. And washing hair is no problem. It’s called skill.
- However, things that require delicate finger motorskills like picking up coins off the floor, picking dry skin, opening soda cans, picking vegetables off my teeth WTF, are nearly impossible -_- Also impossible is opening makeup compact cases where you have to push in the bottom of the latch so the top can pop open. I usually use tweezers to jack the top -_-
Anyway these are just things to consider if you wanna get nail extensions. If you read through the whole list and still (like me) want them, we got ours done in Sungei Wang 😀 Forgot the name of the salon but I think more than one place there does nail extensions (with 3D nail art).